I upgraded my Kindle Keyboard 3G (which had died a slow and painful death) in December 2015. Being a bit short of cash but really wanting (needing) a Kindle device, opted for the cheapest at the time which was the Kindle Fire 7. It only cost me £35, which was a lot cheaper than my original Kindle (R.I.P Sweet eReader 😦 ) and I was impressed with it for the most part. I made the decision to only use it as a kindle (apart from having Netflix installed for emergency TV binges) rather than its intended use as a tablet.
As many of you know, Amazon have this thing called the “Cloud”. For those who don’t know, it’s like your very own personal library where all your purchased and downloaded books are stored for you to read whenever you want. The KK (or Kindle Keyboard) didn’t have the cloud feature, all your books were downloaded to the device and when you had finished it you could remove it from the device and it would be stored on Amazon’s servers until such a time that you might want it again. This was my favourite feature, it made it simple to keep track of all the books that you hadn’t started and which ones you had read – if it wasn’t on the device, you had already read it. This is where my issue with the KF (or Kindle Fire) comes in. The KF has a live running version of the Cloud on the device. You can swap between a downloaded or cloud list, but the cloud is always there, so if you delete the book from your kindle then it still appears on the KF under the cloud. I understand that (amongst other reasons) this was done so that users didn’t have to go to Amazon to download their next read from the website, ease of use and all that, but I don’t like it. They (Amazon) support and promote the use of creating collections on your device to keep track and sort books into groups depending on your individual needs, so you could have a “Finished” group, a “To Be Read” group or even a “Strong Female Characters” group if that was what you wanted. However, whether its pure bad luck for me or karma for something I’ve done wrong, my (attempted) collections don’t update and sync properly. Amazon have investigated and said there is nothing wrong so I really do think its my fault.
Finding it difficult to keep track (without having to check an external website such as Goodreads) of what I have already read I decided (on 12th May 2017) to manually download ALL 1879 of my eBooks to my device then I could delete it once I’d finished it. I had purchased and installed a 64gb memory card to my KF and according to the information online this should easily accommodate my books. I set about the download. It went swimmingly for a while, I managed to download 1072 of the 1879 books. Then it stopped. It would download them, they would appear on the device as downloaded (with the “new” banner across the corner and the “tick” mark) but within a maximum of 5 minutes they would remove themselves from the device and have an “!” on them along with a “Unable to download book. Please try again or contact Amazon Customer Services” message. After re-trying the books for a while, I gave in and contacted Amazon.
I contacted them via the live chat on their website and spoke to V. It was very early and after a quick chat, they did something that seemed to kick start it. I left the chat to take the kids to school and left the KF downloading at home. Upon my return (around 3 hours later) I found the same issue had occurred, so again I set upon the live chat. This time I spoke to someone called S. They were extremely helpful and I/We were on the chat for around 2 hours 10 minutes. They tried various things but it was still doing the same thing. At the end of the conversation, they offered me a replacement KF (even though my warranty ran out in December 2016). I immediately went to facebook and sang Amazon’s praises about how helpful they were.
My new (refurbished) KF arrived the very next day (13th May). I contacted Amazon again via live chat and spoke to A. I asked them to manually force through ALL of my Amazon purchases, they told me that it couldn’t be done (I already knew it could from my conversation the day before with S). After a bit of to’ing and fro’ing, I went off to check my email for the name of the person I spoke to who had already said it could be done. When I returned to the chat it had been disconnected (through my own fault as I was on my phone browser and not the laptop). So, for the 4th time, I contacted them through the live chat and spoke to V (this could have been the same V from the first conversation but I couldn’t remember their name so I’m not entirely sure). I explained what I needed doing and V said they would do it. That was that. The books started coming through and I left the KF plugged into the mains, right next to the router to make sure it had the strongest wifi connection possible. A short while later I noticed it had stopped, upon checking, they’d only sent through the first 72 purchases from the cloud list. I was heartbroken but determined to see this through, so I set about manually downloading the remaining 1807 books. Again, it worked without a problem, but then I started noticing it was doing the same thing it had done before. I checked and had managed to successfully download 1030 books this time. I decided not to contact Amazon again purely because they must be fed up of me and I didn’t want them to think I had broken another KF (oops!).
Now I’m starting to wonder if it’s my memory card that’s the problem. It worked fine when I had it in my phone and even after the books start to display the error message, the ones already downloaded work fine. I’m really confused and seriously contemplating buying a Kindle Keyboard from eBay (but then my Graphic Novels won’t work correctly). Needless to say, I’m feeling a bit disheartened by the whole situation at the moment.